Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Glorious Thanksgiving Day

If you see the mail lady put letters into your mail box and drive away, and then you go to get them, and the box will not open no matter how hard you try, what do you do? I'm thinking of a sledge hammer. Actually, though, this is not a "real" mail box, but my Yahoo mail box. (How much more real can you get than that?) I arrived to Yahoo, I signed in, and it says I have nine items of new mail; but they just won't let me get to them. "They" being the little men in the computer. I used to tease my computer-geek son about my thinking there were little men in the computer, and I sometimes thought that he believed me...not that there were little men but that I thought that. Nope, no little men, no pixies or elves, but sometimes it seems like it. How much "magic" God has given us in the world!

All of God's creation can fill us with wonder! The changing seasons of nature; the changing expressions of humans. The warmth of the sun; the warmth of loving and being loved. The intricacies of trees and flowers; the intricacies of the human mind. And so much more.

And then, now and then, God steps beyond nature and gives us an even greater miracle...something we can barely understand. Or something we can't fully understand with our minds, but only with our hearts.

Such miracles we are commemorating this week. The mighty God, Jesus the second Person of the Blessed Trinity, taking the form of man, coming to earth as a small, weak baby, coming to teach us, set us an example, take our sins upon himself, and reconcile us with the Father. Isn't this enough? But no, this is not enough for His generosity. He adds to that as only God can. He gives us yet another gift, as He gives Himself to us in Holy Communion for all time.

Today is the glorious Thanksgiving Day of that institution of the Holy Eucharist at the Last Supper. Thank you, Dear Jesus, for your great gifts. Help us to appreciate them and to grow in love of you and of all those whom you have created with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

No comments: