Saturday, April 14, 2007

Blogging "Plan"

I had forgotten my list. Some weeks ago I had come up with a plan for this blog, much like my menu plan for our family meals. Monday I would write this kind of thing, Tuesday that kind of thing, Wednesday something else. I didn't want to share the plan with you for the same reason that I didn't use to share my menu plan with the family:

"Hey, I thought we were supposed to have spaghetti tonight!"

Or, "Hey, I was expecting a book review."

But the past week I've been sitting down to a blank screen, wondering why I "got myself into this". To quit (or to write less often) was unthinkable. But I didn't know where to go with it each day. It had been a bit like coming home from a busy day of errands at 4:30 or 5:00 and trying to figure out what to have for dinner. And then you waste all kinds of time running to the store. Know the feeling? You might actually come up with something tasty now and then, but it takes some of the joy out of the cooking.

And then I remembered my list! A plan for what type of thing to write each day. So here I am. Saturday is: "About this blog" or "Family life". Sunday is: "Potluck" -- not as in recipes, but as in, whatever; anything or nothing. But that's all I'll tell you of my blog "menu plan" for now!

No comments: