Thursday, August 16, 2007

Too Bad I Don't Get Paid to Write

Too bad I don't get paid? Whose fault is that? I need to get to work and find a match between the market and what I'm good at writing. But in the meantime:

When I post something here at my blog, I'm just thinking of you, my dear readers. But lo and behold, I get picked up (like a leaf) and carried (on the wind) to other quarters. My book review about Inside My Heart, by Robin McGraw, wife of Dr. Phil McGraw, got picked up by their website. Kinda' neat, huh?

I did have just a brief moment of thought about copyright (I got interrupted just as I happened to find my review out there). But when I went back for a second look, I realized they only quoted a passage and linked to me for the rest. Totally right! (Of course they know what they're doing! They're media people.) As a matter of fact, even better than what's allowed for a review, they left a sentence hanging so people would want to click through to read the rest. Click through to my blog. How neat is that?

For those of you who have blogs, you might want to do a Google search now and then with the name of your blog. Never know what you might find. (I suggest putting the name in quotation marks.) Even if you don't write a blog, you might like to Google your name now and then, just for fun.



P.S. Just as they posted a disclaimer about my blog, I want to say that I have never watched Dr. Phil's show and don't know how I'd feel about it. I only know I liked his wife's book. Oh, and about getting paid, just for the sake of total honesty, yes, I do. I get a bit of royalty for Chats with God's Little Ones. But having written that in about 1980, I need to get something else going now. It's about time, isn't it?

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

You definitely should...I see other bloggers getting paid here and there for article they submit to places like Associated Content. Easy way to make a little bit. I've been meaning to try it, but need to wait until the little one is older, and I get my brain back. lol.

You'd probably want to shoot a little higher because you are a published writer. I just got a free copy of Danielle Bean's Faith & Family magazine and I saw a nicely written article by the Catholic blogger Minnesotamom! BTW, that's a very well done magazine. I plan to get a subscription. I could see one of your articles in that magazine.

Simple Faith and Life said...

Thank you so much, Alexandra!

Henry Cate said...

"I need to get to work and find a match between the market and what I'm good at writing."

One of the best books for discovering good career matches is "What Color is Your Parachute." I strong recommend it.

The book helps you figure out what kinds of jobs you love doing.

Good luck.