Monday, July 09, 2007

Five Things I Love about Jesus

Jean has tagged me with the meme, "Five Things I Love about Jesus".

"Here are the Rules: Those tagged will share 5 things they "love" about Jesus. Those tagged will tag 5 other bloggers. Those tagged will provide a link in the comments section here with their name so that others can read them."

1) St. John says at the beginning of his Gospel (Chapter 1), "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." He is referring to Jesus as "the Word". Jesus is, and always was, united with the Father and the Holy Spirit, in the one Blessed Trinity. That being said, I love Jesus in His omnipotence, united with the Father, creating and sustaining the world - where the oceans roar upon the rocks or gently lap upon the sands; where the mountains tower above the rest of the world, with their mighty trees towering yet higher; and where men and women live and love, often heroically, and with all the complexities of their nature.

2) I love that Jesus "true God of true God...for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven" (Nicene Creed).

3) I love that Jesus came not as a mighty King, but with His divinity hidden under the veil of a very human and lovable Infant. God from all eternity, He became Man, the Son of God, out of love for us.

4) I love that this God-Man - who was there at the creation of the world and who suffered and died for us - did not stop there, but gave us yet another wondrous gift...His Presence in the Blessed Sacrament under the appearance of bread and wine, that we may come to Him and find rest for our souls.

5) I love that Jesus, present in this Blessed Sacrament, stoops yet further to come into our very hearts in Holy Communion to be the food of our souls and to be lovingly united with us.

(And these, my friends, are also the reasons that I became a Catholic. I loved God the Father before I became a Catholic. I loved Jesus before I became a Catholic. But these are things which I learned and as I learned them I loved them...and love yet more thirty six years later.)

I tag anyone who would like to do this meme. And thank you, Jean, for tagging me!

No comments: