Sunday, February 04, 2007

"What about Bob?"

You don’t usually find me recommending movies, nor do you often find me laughing out loud over movies, but this one - that had gotten missed in the post-Christmas rush until today - had me doubled over with laughter. I don’t recommend it for young children (say, under 12?), because of a little “language” and attempted (though thwarted) violence.

Bob (Bill Murray) seeks a new therapist, and discovers Dr. Leo Marvin (Richard Dreyfuss), an egotistic, stressed-out psychiatrist who has just written a book. After one appointment, Dr. Marvin tells Bob he is going on vacation and will see him in a month. Not content to wait, Bob maneuvers his way into getting Leo’s phone number, and finally tracks him to his vacation house, where Leo’s wife and kids welcome Bob. But Bob drives Leo right over the edge.

If laughter is the best medicine, this is one over-the-counter medication I’d recommend.

No comments: