Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Do You "Like" Lent?

Years ago I knew an elderly woman who said she LOVED Lent. I didn’t quite relate. But hey, maybe she knew something I didn’t know. Maybe she did something I didn’t do.

I decided this year I am going to like Lent! I wouldn’t spend the time feeling guilty about all that I’m not doing and “should” be doing. I would be pro-active and decide ahead of time what I will do.

But I got up this Ash Wednesday morning, once again, without a definite plan, just ideas. I would give up sweets (nothing more than I should be doing every day of my life, since I have a tendency to hypoglycemia, but something I have not been doing).

But what would I read for spiritual reading? There’s a book I would like to read, Devotion for the Dying by Mother Mary Potter. I love Mother Mary Potter. But I don’t already have that book, and it would require spending money and waiting for the book to arrive.

Browsing Catholic Exchange, I found my answer. I love to read the Bible, but how often do we really do it? Why not go to the Words of Our Lord Himself each day for inspiration? I have a Bible already in the house. Most of us probably do. And in this article in Catholic Exchange, a number of Catholic Bibles are recommended.

There are even Bibles available online. So far, I’m not sure if there are any Catholic Bibles online other than the Douay-Rheims, but this translation can be found, fully annotated, at New Advent.
For my readers who are not Catholic, there are other Bibles online. You can find a variety of them at Bible Crosswalk (for those who are Catholic, the Bible search at this website also includes the Douay-Rheims Bible, as well as the many others for non-Catholics).

Anyone want to share? What do you do for Lent? How can we love this season and let it help us to grow in our love for Our Lord?

No comments: