Thursday, January 18, 2007

Meet Paul

This is the son you're praying for. (If you weren't, you are now.) Paul woke up one day last week with blurriness in one eye. Yesterday he was diagnosed with the same thing that caused his youngest brother Peter to suddenly and unexpectedly become legally blind at the age of nine. It's called Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy or LHON for short. At this time, there is no treatment. Paul may or may not keep the vision in his other eye.

(In the picture above, he's only squinting because of the flash. There was nothing wrong with his vision before last Wednesday.)

Paul is an artist and as he says, a storyteller. He is a college student in Kentucky, enjoys his family and friends, and likes a good laugh. He has a strong faith and is in good spirits with a good attitude. He appreciates all your prayers.

3 comments:

humble servant said...

Oh.... what sad news.

I will definitely keep Paul in my prayers.

God Bless you and your son, Margaret Mary.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog while doing a Google search of NKU's Catholic Newman Club. I know it is odd but anyway. The reason for my writing is that over the past year Paul has become one of my best friends. In addition, I hope I have been equally as kind to him. He surely has one of the best senses of humor of anyone plus great spirits. It is amazing how he is able it cope in this past year with his blindness. As well as his ability to cook and not just throw a few ingredients together but actually put together a meal that is would be worth paying for he is amazing. Paul has helped me get through some difficult times and everyday I continue to pray for him.

God Bless!

Simple Faith and Life said...

D,

Thank you for commenting, and...

Thank you for being there for Paul! I know it's you and others, along with his faith, that have helped him cope so well.

God bless you!

Margaret Mary