Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Gaggle of Saint Friends Meme

I was tagged for this meme by Jean of Catholic Fire. Thank you, Jean!

Rules: Answer the questions! You can give a reason for the answer if you like. As for tagging people, you tag as many as you want or as few...minimum of one. There's no obligation to play. Last of all, have fun!

1. First Saint you "met"? The Blessed Virgin Mary, through whom I was converted to the Catholic Faith. I was introduced to St. Therese soon after. Many years later I wrote a Little Saint Therese Book for young children, which is available for free, online.

2. Favorite Saint(s)? Blessed Mother, St. Therese, St. Margaret Mary, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, St. Martin de Porres...and, last but not least, St. Francis, whom I "knew" before becoming a Catholic.

3. Patron saint for the year? I didn't know there was such a thing until this year. I was assigned St. Thomas the Apostle, who said: Unless I put my hands in his wounds, I will not believe (perhaps appropriate for me, so maybe he can help me grow); and St. Lawrence who, as he was being burned, said: You can turn me over now; I'm done on that side (maybe not so appropriate for me, so maybe he can help me grow).

4. Favorite book by a saint? Story of a Soul by St. Therese.

5. Saint book you are reading now? Quick, grab a book! Naw, I'll be honest; not reading a saint book right now.

6. Favorite movie of a saint? "A Man for All Seasons", about St. Thomas More.

7. Favorite Autobiography/Biography of a saint? Besides Story of a Soul by St. Therese...St. Francis of Assisi by Johannes Jorgenson.

8. Favorite novel/book of a saint? Behold This Heart by Rev. H. J. Heagney, about St. Margaret Mary, although I generally prefer for books about real people to be non-fiction.

9. Saint (besides your favorites) you'd want to meet? St. Helena.

10. Saint you look to for help? St. Joseph for finances and desperate situations, and St. Anthony to find things, whether lost items or not...sometimes to find things for me to buy economically. (Now you know my secret.)

11.Favorite saint quote? St. Thomas the Apostle, "My Lord and My God."

12. Favorite Holy Card? Infant Jesus of Prague Novena on the back, which begins, "O Jesus, who has said, Ask and you shall receive, Seek and you shall find..." etc. This novena is said every hour for nine hours, so I love praying it when I'm very concerned or in a hurry.

13. Favorite story of a saint? When Our Lord was dying on the cross, He said to St. John, "Behold thy Mother" and to Mary, "Behold thy son". This is my favorite, when He gave us His Mother, through St. John, to be our Mother too.

14. If you could go anywhere on a pilgrimage to a saint's homeland, where would it be? I haven't thought about it, but I have loved being where saints have been: In the California missions where Blessed Junipero Serra lived and worked; at St. Alponsus Church in Baltimore where we go to church, where St. John Neumann and Blessed Francis Seelos were both pastors (at different times); and St. Brigid's Church in Baltimore, where we have our homeschool co-op, where James Cardinal Gibbons (author of the book Faith of Our Fathers) was once pastor (different building but same location).

15. Any Blesseds or Venerables that you would like to become canonized? Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Zelie, the mother of St. Therese. Blessed Junipero Serra.

I will tag Margaret, of Minnesota Mom, if she has the time and would like to do it. No pressure here, Margaret. And the linking thing I did is not necessary. I just had fun with it.

Anyone else who would like to do this is also welcome. And again, anyone is welcome to tell us about your favorite saints, saint stories, saint quotes or whatever, in the comments!

2 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Oh my goodness! There is considerable pressure to participate when one is the only person tagged! :)

Thank you, Margaret Mary. This looks like a fun (and edifying) meme for Lent.

Simple Faith and Life said...

Oh, I'm sorry, I really didn't meant to pressure you, but I see your point.

I hope you have a very blessed Lent.

MM