Friday, February 01, 2008

A New Book Meme

I was tagged for a book meme by Alexandra at Happy Hearts at Home.

Thank you, Alexandra, for thinking of me.

1) Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Too many battles for me and too much detail to keep track of. I like The Hobbit, though.

2) If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

John Rokesmith, Bella Wilfer, and Lizzie Hexam from Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens. I'd have breakfast with them. This lesser-known book, by the way, is my favorite Dickens book...and Dickens is my favorite fiction writer.

3) (Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realize it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates by Mary Mapes Dodge. I've read it, but wouldn't want to have to read it again.

4) Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?

I can't think of a specific title. I do like to read book catalogs, book reviews and narratives, and then when someone mentions a book I haven't read, I may be able to discuss it somewhat intelligently or at least have some idea what they're talking about.

5) You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalize the VIP).

I would recommend Harry Potter, book one. Why? Because the books are both character driven and plot driven, and with the VIP "not being a big reader" maybe he would find reading to be an interesting pursuit and become a more enthusiastic reader.

6) A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Spanish.

7) A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

Jesus of Nazareth by Mother Mary Loyola.

8) What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

A new (to me) Catholic author: Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle.

9) That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leather bound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

My books would be well organized on ample bookshelves in an open, well-lighted room. They would include autographed books by all my favorite homeschool authors, and lots of current Catholic titles. I would also have lots of classics, including everything by Charles Dickens, Zane Grey, and L. M. Montgomery.

A word about "tagging and me". I sometimes do not tag specific people for memes and awards because there are a limited number of blogs that I visit...and some of those are people who rarely join in memes and awards. I might have gotten to know more bloggers by now if my blog had continued to be my mission, my apostolate, my hobby...my life (my life other than my family, my prayers, and my homeschooling). But since I became active in a homeschool co-op, which includes teaching preschool for several hours once a week, with preparation during the week, I have another mission, apostolate and hobby vying for my time and attention.

So rather than tag the same people I always do, or tag people who are not interested in participating, I would like to "tag" anyone who is interested. If you do pick this up from here, leave me a comment if you would, so my readers and I can enjoy your answers.

Also, if you do not have a blog, PLEASE FEEL FREE to answer any of the above questions in the comments box. We would be interested to hear what you have to say! (Please just copy or restate the question so we know which one you are answering.)

Oh, and one word about comments. If you do not have or want a Google account or other sign-in account, I believe you can still leave a comment. Click on the button for Anonymous. Then just sign your name at the end of the post so we know who you are. If you don't want to sign your full name, you can sign a first name or even a pseudonym.

God Bless!

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Your book interests are almost exactly the same as my mother's! She loves Dickens and Zane Grey. Thanks for playing. :)

Alexandra said...

Thanks for playing. :) Your book favorites are so much like my mom's...she loves Dickens and Zane Grey as well.