Thursday, January 24, 2013

I Hate Injustice

I hate injustice but I love to learn the history of injustice. Why is that? I think it's because it justifies my hatred of injustice.

But more than that, it makes me realize that the world is really not much better nor much worse than it has ever been...and that most of us are not as good as we could be, in the way that we view our neighbor, that most of us, at one time or another, tend to look at someone else with a prejudicial view...whether it is toward their race or religion or culture; or whether we've risen above that, but it's about someone's economic class or the way they dress or what their politics seem to be. Why do I say 'what their politics seem to be'?  Well, don't we sometimes assume someone holds one view because they say they hold a certain view on a totally different topic?

Don't we sometimes say this person has this bad way of looking at this topic and therefore this person is bad? What if we tried to just look past the things we don't agree with, and look at the person? Fight what we believe is wrong but fight ideas, not people? Because, as Martin Luther King Jr pointed out, hatred doesn't stop hatred.

Only love, respectful love, can really bring about love, and isn't that really what life is all about?

1 comment:

Grace said...

Amazing! Just before I clicked on my Google Reader to check blog posts, I said to my husband, "I'm just so sick at the thought of our country and the direction it's going. It's terrible!" Then I saw your post and read it. You're right....it's not any worse than it ever has been. The injustices of our current world have been repeated before in history. I wish we could learn from our mistakes. However, you're right about hatred breeding hatred. I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin right now (actually listening on my AudioBooks App.) and it makes me think of abortion, the holocaust, etc. What is needed is love.