Saturday, January 26, 2019

Love is the Only Answer





I woke this morning with a thought, and this was the thought, "Love is the only answer." It just popped into my head. 

Now, what I think of when I think of "love" is respect, caring, compassion, appreciation, and understanding. I might be able to think of other words, but that's a start.

Love - for those who are Christians – says: these people were redeemed by the same Jesus who died to redeem me. Love - for those who believe in God – says: these people, whoever they are, wherever they are, were created by the very same loving God who created me. Love - for those who don't believe in God – says: I will do to others what I would want them to do to me, and not do to others what I would not want them to do to me.

Love does not look at race, nationality, religion, or other beliefs or conditions, before being respectful of any one of the very greatest creation of all, the human being. Love seeks for all to be treated with the same respect.

Love does not look at whether someone has committed a crime to decide if they will respect that person as God's creation.

Love does not look at what they believe to be sin, and judge what is in someone else's heart. But love does call out injustice in order to right wrongs, out of compassion and respect for those being wronged. Love does not mean we will like everyone or that we won't get angry when someone commits an injustice, but love wishes change, not harm.

Love will be glad that someone feeds the hungry; and that someone visits the imprisoned; and that someone helps the homeless; and that someone visits those who are sick. Love helps whenever the opportunity and the means present, but without the opportunity or means, it still seeks to do no harm and to speak or hope no harm.

Love requires courage and strength. Love requires effort and practice. We all fall short at times.

But I believe, when all else is said and done, that love is the only answer.

No comments: