Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tugging on the Reins on Facebook

It isn't because of this article on Facebook Fatigue that I've decided to pull back the reins again on my Facebook use, although I find the graphics of the article fun.

I'm pulling back on my Facebook use because I woke up from a dream seeing the little red Facebook notifications number (and if I'm gonna' dream numbers, I feel better about dreaming the algebraic equations I'm studying in college).

I'm pulling back on my Facebook use because I often get on Facebook when I'm tired, but I don't get more energy from it and then get off. For whatever reason, I often just get more tired. Perhaps I could better use that time to take a nap, and then maybe get some of my much-needed exercise.

I'm pulling back on my Facebook use because - although I don't neglect my immediate family for it - I need to pay more attention to other people I'm not connected to on Facebook...call my dad more often, visit my elderly neighbor, and send some thank you notes...that kind of thing, you know.

I love being connected, through Facebook, to so many of my family and friends, and I am not "leaving" Facebook, just limiting it more. I don't stop eating because I eat more than I should, and I'm not leaving social media because I spend more time on it than I should. But sometimes I have to stop and think, and get myself on a more balanced nutritional plan. And sometimes I have to stop and think, and get myself on a more balanced social plan.

How about you? How does social media fit into your life? 




No comments: