Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Let's Look for the Good in the World

Please don't believe everything you hear. The world is not "going to hell in a handbasket". (For younger people: that's an old expression.). I mean, there's a whole lot of bad stuff, and some of us have different opinions about who's behind some of the bad stuff, and even what's bad and what isn't.
But here's what I think we need to remember: There are always so many people willing to make sacrifices, small or large, to help others. There are people willing to risk their lives to save others' lives. Right now, there are many, many people willing to leave their families and the comfort of their homes to go help people who are suffering from a widespread natural disaster, Hurricane Helene's drastic damage.

Even in everyday life, there are people of every race, gender, nationality, and age (yes, from very young children - I see it often - to very old people) who will step up in some way to help someone else when they see a need and are able to fill it.

I'm not a Pollyanna. Believe me, I go through life with my eyes wide open. I read the news. I frequently read nonfiction books which show the seamy and sad and even shocking sides of life...in the hopes of finding ways to shine a light on it. But there is way more good in this world than there is bad!

We need to keep the darkness in perspective, and look more at the light than at the darkness. We need to keep the hate that's in the world at bay, and look more for the love. I wish I could remember who the author was who said, "Love means look for good."

No comments: