Saturday, January 07, 2012

What I Learned in 2011

Doesn't the word "twenty-twelve" have a nice sound to it? Not only that, 2011 had some sadnesses in it that I wish had never happened. However, I also learned some things in 2011 and I would like to share them with you as slogans.

Before I begin, let me tell those who might balk at my first slogan - about guilt - that yes, I believe in sin. But "feeling" guilty is only good for true sin and then only as a temporary thing to get us to be sorry and make amends. Feeling guilty for things from our past life, or for things other people did or are doing, things we can't help...you get the picture...all of those are a futile waste of energy and only contribute to the landfill of the human condition.

For those who know me well, you will realize that some of these slogans are only a work in progress, not a "done deal". But that I "discovered" them is a start...not that I discovered all of them on my own. One or more of them I learned from a friend and so I post this today in honor of all that was good and true and noble in that friendship.

What I Learned in the Year 2011:

1. Give up the guilt.

2. It's good to be happy.

3. I am not responsible for the happiness of anyone else.

4. My happiness is not dependent on that of others.

5. It is good to serve others; it is not necessarily good to please others.

6. Be decisive.

No comments: